Friday, May 15, 2015

Styling the Garter Slip Rib Scarf #1



In taking photos of my latest scarf pattern, I discovered some fresh ways to style a knitted scarf.  I’m always looking for ways to make a scarf look fresh and different, so I began playing around as I styled the scarf for my photo-shoot.  I thought I would share some of them here, so that you can try them, too.  These work particularly well with my Garter Slip Rib Scarf, as it has a ribbed texture that folds and twists very nicely.  But theoretically, they should work with most scarves.  I will describe and illustrate the first three in this post, and publish the others in succeeding blog posts.

1)  Folded Wrap

 

This one is very simple, but I really like the look.  Here’s how to do it:  Place the center of the scarf at the front of the neck…fold it if you wish.  Wrap both ends to the back and smoothly around to the front again, as shown.
Next, bring each end under that center front wrap, from top to bottom, and pull through gently so that it just loosely hugs that side of the original wrap. 
Bring one end under the front wrap...
and then the other.




















I found that it looked neater if I sort of folded the scarf around the center front wrap as it came out from under it (this means that the side of the scarf that was facing outward above the center front wrap will be underneath below it.  Play with it…hopefully you will see what I mean).  Arrange these side “wraps” so they look nice, and you are done!

 

2)  Wrap and Tie

 

So simple, but I really like the look.  Place the center of the scarf at the front of the neck, and bring the ends to the back, and around to the front again.  Tie them a little ways below the neck in a loose half knot.

3)  Twisted Wrap and Tie

 

This one is really easy.  First, twist the center third of the scarf loosely.  See how the rib spirals when it is twisted?  
Place the center at the front of the neck, and wrap both ends to the back, making sure that they stay twisted till they are at the center of the back.  Then cross them and wrap both ends (they can be un-twisted, now) back to the front of the neck, and tie in a loose half knot.










No comments: