Saturday, September 11, 2010

Light and Shadow, Part 2

What would we do without light?  It is so basic to our way of life that I can't even imagine life without it.  Here are some more images that have inspired me--all have some relation to light and shadow.

This moth has a subtle pattern of light and dark brown on its wings:


This forest "tunnel" has a bright green meadow at the end of it:


This next "tunnel" is created by an arch of bright, sunlit leaves; can you see it?


Here is a mossy silhouette, framing the streambed beyond.  I see lots of texture here,as well!


Light cast obliquely on an object makes its texture show up dramatically.  The light and shadow on this tree's bark create interesting patterns:


These bejeweled flowers have varying shades of pink:


And, speaking of jewels, this cedar tree is encrusted with sparkling dew-diamonds, with the sun shining through them ( I am forever trying to capture the brightly-colored sparkles of dewdrops in photographs, and have thus far been highly unsuccessful;  does anyone have any tips for me?):



The different shades of green here are partly created by light and shadow, and partly by different pigments in the leaves of this evergreen shrub:


And finally, here are trees silhouetted against the luminous sunset sky:


Whether it is dark and light shades of the same color, or light shining through translucent substances like flower petals or colored glass, or the contrast of dark against light, I love the effects that light and shadow create.  In my next post, I hope to share some of my own creations using light and dark elements.

No comments: