Monday, September 6, 2010

The Tendency Towards Texture, Part 3

Now that I have shared some of my inspiration, I'll show you some of my textured creations.  Can you see any ways in which the images that inspire me have affected the things I create?

Most knitted or crocheted items have an inherent texture to them.  But some techniques lend themselves to texture more than others.  Cables, for example, have a very blatant texture. 

Here is a Bavarian Twist Stitch cabled cap and fingerless gloves, with lots of texture:


Twined Knitting creates a fabric with wonderful texture:



This next photo shows a crocheted felted purse, with post stitch ridges creating the texture:


In this knitted vest, bobbles, lace, and textured patterns combine to create a highly textured fabric (note the leaves and flowers here!):


The open spaces contrasting against the solid areas in lace knitting or crocheted lace also create a kind of texture.  Here's a knitted example:


And here's an example of crocheted lace, in a bridal wristlet:


Sometimes, texture can be created just by using a fuzzy or textured yarn:



Even the lowly garter stitch creates a lovely ridged texture:



Ruffles can create beautiful texture, as well:


In beadwork, the texture may be produced by the contrast of matte and shiny beads:


And, finally, texture can be combined with color and shape, as in this freeform crochet wall hanging:

I hope you enjoyed the "tour" of some of my textured creations! If you want more information about them, some of them are listed in my Etsy shop.

4 comments:

Gwennie said...

That blue capelet is one of my favorites!

Unknown said...

I love the twined knitted hat! Where can I get the pattern?

Rebecca said...

Mary Ann, I am actually preparing that pattern for publication right now. It has taken me quite a while to write it up, as it includes instructions for the twined knitting technique, and I am including (for the first time) several sizes in the pattern instructions. When it is completed, it will be available in my Craftsy shop ( http://www.craftsy.com/user/594425/pattern-store ), my ravelry store ( http://www.ravelry.com/stores/mountain-mist-designs ), or my Etsy shop (www.mountainmist.etsy.com ). If you would like, I could email you to let you know when it is ready. Just email me if you would like me to do that. My email address is Rebecca@mountainmistfiberworks.com. Thanks for asking!

Rebecca said...

For anyone who is interested in my Twined Knitted Cap pattern, the pattern is now complete and is available for sale on Craftsy (http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/knitting/accessory/diamonds-twined-knitted-cap/92443), on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/diamonds-twined-knitted-cap), and in my Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/listing/185156142/pdf-digital-download-pattern-diamonds?ref=shop_home_active_1).